Beginning and experienced programmers will use this comprehensive guide to persistent memory programming. You will understand how persistent memory brings together several new software/hardware requirements, and offers great promise for better performance and faster application startup times―a huge leap forward in byte-addressable capacity compared with current DRAM offerings.
This revolutionary new technology gives applications significant performance and capacity improvements over existing technologies. It requires a new way of thinking and developing, which makes this highly disruptive to the IT/computing industry. The full spectrum of industry sectors that will benefit from this technology include, but are not limited to, in-memory and traditional databases, AI, analytics, HPC, virtualization, and big data.
What You’ll Learn
- Understand what persistent memory is, what it does, and the value it brings to the industry
- Become familiar with the operating system and hardware requirements to use persistent memory
- Know the fundamentals of persistent memory programming: why it is different from current programming methods, and what developers need to keep in mind when programming for persistence
- Look at persistent memory application development by example using the Persistent Memory Development Kit (PMDK)
- Design and optimize data structures for persistent memory
- Study how real-world applications are modified to leverage persistent memory
- Utilize the tools available for persistent memory programming, application performance profiling, and debugging
Who This Book Is For
C, C++, Java, and Python developers, but will also be useful to software, cloud, and hardware architects across a broad spectrum of sectors, including cloud service providers, independent software vendors, high performance compute, artificial intelligence, data analytics, big data, etc.