Oracle Database XE 11gR2 is an excellent beginner-level database and is a great platform to learn database concepts.
“Oracle Database XE 11gR2 Jump Start Guide” helps you to install, administer, maintain, tune, back up and upgrade your Oracle Database Express Edition. The book also helps you to build custom database applications using Oracle Application Express.
Using this book, you will be able to install Oracle Database XE on Windows/Linux operating system.
This book helps you understand different database editions and it guides you through the installation procedure with the aid of screenshots. You will learn to interact with the database objects. You will gain a solid understanding of stored sub-programs which is followed by an introduction to Oracle Application Express (APEX). Solid database performance tuning strategies are also discussed in this book followed by backup and recovery scenarios.
All in all, “Oracle Database XE 11gR2 Jump Start Guide” delivers everything that you should know to get started with Oracle Database administration.
What you will learn from this book
- Install and uninstall Oracle Database XE on Windows and Linux environment
- Set up local and remote database connections and resize Oracle SGA.
- Install SQL Developer, access table data, modify table data, understand transaction control statements and most commonly used SQL functions
- Create and manage database objects like tables, indexes, constraints, views, sequences, and synonyms
- Develop PL/SQL stored subprograms
- Create rich and responsive applications using Oracle Application Express
- Understand Oracle logical and physical components such as SGA, PGA, Tablespaces, and Flash Recovery Area
- Move data between different Oracle Database XE versions
- Upgrade Oracle Database Express Edition to other Oracle Database Editions
- Protect and recover your database
- Tune the database for optimal performance