UDK, the free version of the popular and award-winning Unreal 3 Engine, is an amazing and powerful tool to use for projects of any kind. You can use it to create high-quality games and make your dream games a reality.
UDK can be a little intimidating based on the level of games it has contributed to the ever growing and ever exciting world of gaming. Overcome all your apprehensions with this step-by-step guide and build a complete project within the Unreal Development Kit with unique gameplay, custom menus, and a triple A rated finish
This book will help you create a custom tower defense game within UDK, even if you have absolutely no prior knowledge of UDK game development.
In next to no time, you will learn how to create any kind of environment within UDK. With your basic environment created, you will make use of simple visual scripting to create a tower defense game complete with enemies attacking in waves. We then finish off the game with custom menus and a Heads Up Display. The final step is to release your game into the wild and give others the excitement of playing it.
What you will learn from this book
- Learn tips and tricks to achieve what every gamer dreams about – their very own gaming environment
- Create gameplay functionality such as enemy wave spawning and placeable towers using Kismet
- Use Geometry Mode to greybox environments
- Build multiple towers making use of Prefabs
- Design visually stunning environments making use of materials and static meshes.
- Place power-ups in your environment, such as weapons and health
- Communicate between Flash to UDK and vice-versa through Kismet